Remains of ancient Kydonia have been discovered on Kastelli hill, where we are, and in the surrounding area. The earliest traces are dated to 2.900-2200 BC. In the years 2200-1580 BC, the settlement was developed on the hill and was evolved into an important center. The period 1600 / 1580-1070 BC is a thriving era for Minoan Kydonia.
The settlement had a palatial character with an organized urban plan, elaborate constructions and houses with “palatial” architectural elements. Parts of two streets, a square and four houses with warehouses, dormitories, a stair, corridors, a kitchen with a fireplace and a loom have come to light. These remains are preserved in Saint Catherine Square across the street, but also in Kanavero and Katre streets.